Re: The History of RP!

From: Mr. Tushar R. Mahale (tusharm@idc.iitb.ernet.in)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 17:10:40 EEST

One of the first recorded examples on the development of 3D parts by
stacking 2.5D cross-sections is that by a person called Blanter (1892). He
made topological maps by tracing the indiviual contour lines (from contour
maps) onto wax sheets. These sheets were then cut and the cross-section
stacked manually, one on top of the other, as per the order. The 3D
objects thus obatined, were then smoothened with wax to minimize the
"staircase effect" (Perhaps it can also be considered to be the origin of
1st order slicing). If I am not mistaken, the paper maps were then pressed
over these scaled models of the terrain to get what could be called "3D
maps".

Hope this helps

Regards

Tushar