Re: The History of RP - farther back (but further out)

From: Nkin@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 23:00:51 EEST

Tushar,

In a message dated 9/3/99 10:53:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, you write:

> The 3D objects thus obtained, were then smoothened with wax to minimize
the
> "staircase effect" (Perhaps it can also be considered to be the origin of
> 1st order slicing).

This is an interesting subject for speculation (when the week's work is
finished). Who knows what various precedents influence the thinking of
people like Blanter and others who have advanced "layer-by-layer"
construction?

Perhaps we should even give some credit to the Egyptians, for their advanced
math and pyramids. They used "layer-by-layer" construction -
"stair-stepped," then smoothed with a finish "coating" of stone.

Along similar lines, one might consider the influence of calculus on how
people think of volumes.

Norm Kinzie