What is automatic

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 21:05:26 EEST

Come on, Michael! If you define "automatic" so that it includes human labor,
the word just loses all meaning.

    However, I agree with your first point, that none of the machines is yet
fully automatic. It does require some discretion to decide where to draw the
line between what is manual and what is automatic. I'm willing to call an
SLA and an LOM automatic even though they require a good deal of manual
post-processing. That is partly a function of our primitive state of
technology; ten years from now, an SLA and LOM will not be considered
automatic, but dismally laborious. However, even today, I do NOT consider
pottery or manual stacking of digitally cut patterns (including the JP5,
with apologies to my friend Charles Thomas, who knows my views on this) to
be automatic.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns

Marshall@Ennex.com
Ennex Corporation, Los Angeles, USA, (310) 824-8700
www.Ennex.com