Re: 3D printers

From: I. Fagoaga (I) (ifagoaga@inasmet.es)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 00:50:12 EEST

Dear Kevin:

This is Ana García writing from the mail of a coworker because mine is out of service at this moment. I am working in a technology development centre, and presently a "newcomer" to RP techniques. I have been gathering information the last months, and I am afraid that I have nothing about the 3D printing. We are presently developing a project to produce several specific components in aluminium-SiC composites by investment casting. We have always worked with wax models produced by traditional techniques, but in this case we need compulsory that the models be produced by a RP technique, since the components to be produced will be mostly unique specimens to be produced from drawings.

We have identified LOM as a possible adequate technique for one of our components, since it is quite large. For the other components we have not decide yet which technique. Until now we were thinking of Quickcast, SLS or Sanders models, but never heard about the 3D printing for models for investment casting. Could you send me more information about this technique, the size of the parts that can be produced, their surface finish and accuracy, the material they are produced of, and any other information about their suitability for investment casting?