Re: HeCd laser lifetimes ???

From: Mark Wynn (mwynn@yazaki-na.com)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 21:39:24 EEST

The first few years we had our SLA-250 (the first 6 HeCd lasers we purchased) we averaged about 2300 hours. We suspected that we had power related problems but we weren't for sure. So we had a local company, Detroit Edison, investigate. They confirmed our suspisions. Not power outages, but irregular fluctuations and noise. We later attributed the phenomena to a large number of testing chambers, which cycled on and off irregularly with sporadic heavy current draws.
So we decided to invest in a high end UPS. Shortly there after we also invested in a HVAC system. Since that time our average laser life has increased to 6500 hours. The highest has been 7341 hours. The last 2 have been just a few hours shy of 7000 hours.
We think that the clean power and slight air flow (caused by fume hoods placed directly over the top of the machines / laser) results in the 275 % increase in laser life.
Our UPS cost us approximately 21k. However, after the first two lasers (or approximately 10 months - note we have 2 SLA-250's) the UPS paid for itself. We also calculated that it took an additional 12 months for the HVAC unit to pay for itself. But also keep in mind this solution took care of any possible humidity problems as well.
I am now a true believer in clean power. I would highly recommend a high end UPS.
Oh ya, I agree with Steve, leaving your laser on between builds will significantly increase laser life. Or at least that is our expirience.

>>> "William LeBlanc" <leblanw@UMoncton.CA> 09/16/99 09:34AM >>>
Eric,

Since 1991 I have seen lasers last anywhere from 50 to 3000 hrs. I have yet to experience a laser making it past the 3000 hr barrier.

Melles or Omnichrome, I'd say pretty much the same. I have been told that my power supply killed my last laser (800 hrs) ..... who knows, same power supply and another laser now at 1900 hrs!

Regards,

William LeBlanc, ing.
Concept + Inc.
leblanw@concept-plus.com
www.concept-plus.com

>>> Eric King <lzrdude@earthlink.net> 09/15 6:03 PM >>>
Dear List,

We have seen over the past couple of years, the HeCd lifetimes slowly
decreasing, over several different applications - other than SLA. They
used to run for 8-10 hours typically. Now we are currently seeing them
fade in power starting at 2-3,000 hours.

Can any of the SLA-250 users please help us help confirm,or deny this ?

It has seemed that ever since Melles aquired Liconix, and Omnichrome,
that quality has been placed lower on the priority list, than quantity.

Of the last 3 Omnichrome series 74 lasers that we have seen,
on the SLA-250's, they died at:

1,163 hours
  253 hours
  116 hours

These lasers came straight from the box. Shipped from Melles,
to our customer's site. (Which also took too many weeks !!)

Thank you for your help, & looking forward to all of your replies.

Eric King
sla-250@laserinnovations.com

-Quote of the day: "People who send "SPAM" are...

        Stupid
        People
        Among the
        Masses"