Re: RE: HeCd laser lifetimes ???

From: Guy.Bourdeau@coulter.com
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 21:51:19 EEST

I just want to say I consistently get between 5500 and 7000 hours out of
SLA-250 lasers. I monitor the power and perform remelts as necessary.
They do need to be tuned regularly. I change out my 40 MW at about 20 MW at
these hours. I am doing one now with 6800 hours and it was at 19 MW. Your
lasers are probably not bad, just need regular remelts ( sometime more than
2 or 3). I have had cases where I would have to do 5 or 6 before the power
would return. Also, regular monitoring and adjusting of the "K" factors
for accurate power readings. I never turn mine off unless I see we will
not have any work for it for a week or more.

Thanks
Guy Bourdeau
Beckman Coulter
(305) 380-3806