Modeler evaluation

From: wlfoss@collins.rockwell.com
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 19:26:25 EEST

Hi all,

I have an opportunity that may require me to consult upon the merits of the
various SLA modelers offered by 3D Systems (as well as modelers from DTM
and Stratasys). I have gathered many impressions about each SLA modeler
over the years through trade shows, technical articles and this mail list.
However, we do not have an SLA modeler in-house nor have I ever had any
hands-on experience.

Sooooooooooo..................

If I had an unlimited budget (yeh, right!), is the SLA-7000 the best choice
at $800 K? Or would I be better off with the $500 K SLA-5000. Have any
SLA-7000's been sold? How much will it cost me to set up an operation from
scratch (no molding)? I know that I will need a UV oven and media-blaster,
but what other items and facilities will I need? Or should I consider a DTM
Sinterstation 2500Plus or a Stratasys Quantum because of the purchase price
and the cost of related equipment and installation?

This ought to start a real hot dialog on the list, but this is a potential
situation for me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Also, vendors and
manufacturers please do not contact me about this as I already have most of
your materials.

Wayne L. Foss
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa