RE: RP systems and power users

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 00:22:47 EEST

If this industry no longer requires "power users," then most of us will be
out of a job. Especially the internal model shops and service bureaus.
Look at the printing industry. There used to be tons of mom-and-pop shops
for printing and internal print shops for businesses. But since the advent
of "push button" copiers, many are now out of business or no longer needed.
The only print shops now are "production" facilities. And what we do
"ain't" production. If I were in charge of a big corporation and I could
buy "3-D printers" that hook up to workstations and print out accurate,
durable prototypes, I buy them. In the process, most of your model shops
and bureaus will dry up. But the bar goes up with the improvement of
technology. There will be another green pasture for those of us who like to
thrive in chaos. We start mowing those pastures a new way.

David K. Leigh ph (254) 933-1000
Harvest Technologies fax (254) 298-0125
Rapid Prototyping www.harvest-tech.com