Re: POSTING ON RPML

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 26 1999 - 01:33:15 EEST

Elaine ;
.005 wall thickness is truly noteworthy and in need of high praise. My
company does alot of thinwall tooling for the telecomunications and other
industries. Mostly high volume production tooling, but we do some prototyping
as well. We are very much aware of the engineering constraints and
difficulties associated with thin wall moulding. It is I would judge one of
the most difficult problems facing injection moulding today. As an example a
new cell phone which is just coming on the market in the US has a case which
we built the moulds for, some parts in the US and some in Sweden. The upper
case is 2 shot moulded in two colours. Each mould is 4+4 cavities. the wall
thickness of the first shot is .4mm (.015") (what we call controlled flash).
This requires a 300 ton injection moulding machine with around 40 thousand
PSI of injection pressure. In our experience this requires massive amounts of
hardened tool steel surrounding the moulding area just to hold the pressure.
And every component made to the highest precision and quality available
anywhere in the world today. I know for a fact these companies are combing
the world over, searching for companies who can build such moulds and there
are only a handful. They are willing to pay any amount of money to achieve
their goals. We have invested many millions of dollars in trying to achieve
this goal and still have a long hard road ahead of us. I would suggest these
guys contact Motorola right away with their process. They will become very
very wealthy. "Anybody want to buy a fleet of tool shops cheap"
Bob Morton
Partner / Director of technology
Fusion Engineering / Technicor

In a message dated 9/24/99 7:21:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
ehunt@ces.clemson.edu writes:

<< Anybody done any better than these guys? What is the thinnest wall section
 or sections you've done?