Re: FDM for Vacuum Forming

From: rjensen%PARKER@parker.com
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 18:31:31 EEST

Al and RPML:

Basically, the extruded material is laid out in "roads" at a certain angle
(changes on alternate layers) in the interior portion of a layer. You can
vary the "air gap" between these roads from .050" or more to an overlap of
.005". Even if you tried to make the part solid, generally it is not
fluid-tight without sealing. Also, the larger the gap, the faster the part.

I would agree that the parts are not the same mechanically as injection
molded ABS, especially for small features in the slicing direction. I would
say, though, that the larger the part, the closer the material comes to
injection molded properties.

Russ Jensen
Parker Hannifin Corp., Racor Div.

AHastbacka@aol.com@bart.lpt.fi on 09/27/99 05:53:08 AM