RE: Custom Slicing STLs

From: Scott, Andrew R (andrew.r.scott@lmco.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 16:42:12 EEST

This is from a description of the capabilities of the Fockle and Schwarz
SLA. I am assuming the "slice" information was created using a simple macro
that just wrote a series of cross sections. But you could contact either
them or Materialize for more info.

<Software (CAD)

One of the unique capabilities of this company is its software, which is
based on HPGL graphics language in conjunction with a ProEngineer solid
modeler. A typical software sequence of events to produce a part would
entail five steps:

  1.create ProEngineer solid model (or modify from IGES file)

  2.slice ProEngineer solid model into HPGL formatted layers

  3.sort HPGL data for connectivity and identify inner and outer regions

  4.generate support structure both inside and outside of part contours
(part skin) using Materialise CONTOOLS

  5.generate scan style by sorting scan regions by geometric position

During the procedure, the skin contours are scanned last, and support
structure regions can be scanned in an interlaced fashion to reduce stress
and curl. The line-scanning technique differs greatly from those of other
companies. Fockele and Schwarze have found cure procedures that
significantly reduce curl and simultaneously give full control of cure depth
and line width at any point on the surface.

The advantage of the Fockele and Schwarze direct slicing approach over
standard STL methods lies in its ability to incorporate true geometric
representation (not linear tessellation) with smaller files. Another
advantage to this approach is its ability to have greater software control
of the process. This would be invaluable in an R&D environment. The system
also appears to require far fewer parameters than a 3D machine to control
the process. >

Andy Scott
Lockheed Martin Aero Sys