RE: RP Knuckle joints

From: Neuro Surgery (NeuroSur@ahsl.co.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 00:42:56 EEST

Dear Michelle,

> 1. a method of obtaining the dimensions of the joints

High resolution CT if customisation required.
Cadaver bones for generic measurements.
Try orthopaedic implant companies e.g. Biomet/Du Puy etc for off the shelf
sizes

>2. a material best suited for the joint replacement

Silastic... cheap and biocompatible. This is the most commonly used
material.
Metal alloys e.g. titanium... these may be a little expensive and I don't
think these are commonly used
Ceramic... possible but not used to my knowledge.
Barbie doll knees...I read somewhere that these are being used..I can't
remember where
Weight bearing is not an issue but fatigue from repeated movements would be

>3. a RP method which is best suited for the task

Probably high resolution SLA or possibly Sanders.

Have a look at the Anatomics website for biomodelling info:
<http://www.qmi.asn.au/anatomics>
Regards,

Dr Paul D'Urso MB., BS., PhD.
Email: neurosur@ahsl.co.nz