RE: Refeed on DTM's

From: David K. Leigh (dkleigh@harvest-tech.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 18:32:47 EEST

Originally, DTM went from a 2 hole to a 3 hole system. The original method
was to feed from a feed piston and push the powder over the part piston.
The roller would then "back up" and go back to home. So. . . 2 sweeps of
the roller for 1 feed. Well, when they went to 3 holes, they had 2 feed
pistons and 1 part piston. The roller would push powder from one feed
piston, over the part piston, and then park behind the other feed piston.
The thought was if you could lower the opposite feed piston, it could
receive the excess powder and you would not need an overflow. But, at the
time of the Sinterstation 2000, you were feeding a square feed into a round
part piston and you had wierd filling due to differing cross section
profile. Even with the refeed (lowering the opposite feed piston), you
still needed an overflow. After time went on, the refeed option became
unneccesary due to the overflow cartridges. Most people forgot about it and
I assume DTM eliminated it in a recent software upgrade.

David K. Leigh ph (254) 933-1000
Harvest Technologies fax (254) 298-0125
Rapid Prototyping www.harvest-tech.com