RP vs. Production Materials

From: Bill Richards (billr@fieldingmfg.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 19:38:28 EEST

Hi, Everyone,

I'm trying to create a database comparing materials used in rapid prototyping to production materials. To match up a given RP material to what production material (metal, thermoplastic, thermoset, etc.) the final design would be made in for production. For example, SOMOS 201 could be used to simulate a soft rubber, or "Duraform best approximates Nylon ##." The idea is to help make it easier to match materials either by their material specifications, layman's terms, or by description.

Does anyone already have such a database or know where to find one? If not, then I would greatly appreciate any input -- especially from the materials manufacturers.

Thanks!

Bill Richards, Rapid Prototyping
Fielding Manufacturing "From Art... To Part... To Parts!"
T: (401) 461-0400 x221
F: (401) 941-2222