New Lab at Univ. of Pittsburgh

From: Kevin Creehan (kdcst14+@pitt.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 07:13:25 EEST

Hello everyone,

The University of Pittsburgh School of Engineering has recently begun
preparations for a new state-of-the-art Rapid Manufacturing Laboratory to
complement our recently established Rapid Prototyping and Reverse
Engineering Lab.

We are currently in the decision-making process to determine the
technologies that will be included in this lab and would like any feedback,
comments, or suggestions that you may have.

The goal of this lab is to be capable of producing prototype plastic parts,
of batch sizes of about 100. As always when dealing with an academic
institution, cost is an issue, although the funding for this lab is
considerable and we should have the capacity to purchase several
technologies. To date, we have considered vacuum casting, plastic
injection molding, metal spraying technologies, as well as upgrading our
current CNC capacity.

We would like any suggestions and comments that you may have to offer with
respect to any aspect of these technologies, or any part of the industry in
general.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin Creehan
Graduate Research Assistant
Rapid Prototyping & Reverse Engineering Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh