Re: DXF & STL files

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 22:51:51 EEST

At Monday 10/11/99 , Vincenzo Fiasconaro wrote:
>Does anyone know of a free software to convert DXF files to STL and
>viceversa?

Dear Vincenzo,

A bit late reply, due to the TCT conference earlier this week.
For a free conversion you can download the (free) 30 days
trial version of our DeskProto software from our Website.
This software is meant for Rapid Prototyping on your
in-house (desktop) CNC milling machine.
It can import and export both STL and subset DXF,
so it can do your conversion as well.

Note 1:
after the 30 days trial period you are no longer able to output
NC program files: the conversion still is possible.

Note 2:
All STL is supported, only subset DXF: entities 3D Face and Polyface
Mesh only. When importing a DXF file all other entities will be ignored
(converting a 2D drawing DXF to STL would not be meaningful anyway).

Note 3:
STL files contain normal vector information for each facet, DXF files
do not. When converting STL to DXF the normals are lost, when
converting DXF to STL you might end up with incorrect normals.

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling

Mailto:info@spline.nl Website: http://www.deskproto.com