Re: What technology to build a 180MB STL file?

From: Jeroen van den Hout (vdhoutrpml@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 14:13:13 EEST

I don't think that any RP technology can work with files this big. In most
cases, STL files sizes can be reduced significantly in size by merging the
smallest triangles. Triangles with vertexes smaller than 0.005 mm can not be
seen on a prototype, so they are useless in most cases. (0.01 mm is a
tolerance that is small enough in most RP technologies)

You can use the TNO STL Draftangulator software to merge triangles from an
STL file. This software enables the user to design and manufacture moulds by
using the STL file of a product but it can also reduce the number of
triangles in an STL file without loss of geometrie by changing the merge
tolerance at the import screen.
The software is available for free at :
http://www.tno.nl/instit/indus/prototyping/

I don't know if the software can handle files this large, and if it does, it
will be probably be calculating for a long time, but you can give it a
try...

Greetings,

Jeroen van den Hout
TNO Institute of Industrial Technology