Re: What technology to build a 180MB STL file?

From: Rudolf Schenker[Pr.Tech.(Eng)] (rudis@ibi.co.za)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 17:04:49 EEST

"Tim S. Smith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am searching for an RP technology that is capable of building an STL
> file that is 180MB in size. I need a technology that does not require a
> support structure as the part is physiologic and supports will typically
> occupy more volume than than the part!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Tim Smith
> --
> Tim S. Smith
> Senior Scientist
> Procter & Gamble
> 8700 Mason-Montgomery Rd.
> Mason, Ohio 45040

Dear Tim

My only solution to work with large STL files was to split the STL file into
manageable
file sizes. We needed real computer muscle to post process the STL files
that was not available. Slicing the STL file also simplified the growing
process as well as the support removal and finishing. Unfortunately we can
not always split a STL file.
>From my previous experience, the Stratasys Quick Slice software worked well
during the post processing stage. The Maestro software was loaded on an
inferior workstation and
is probable due to that, that I resisted the SLA system.

I agree with Jeroen. By using STL remesh/filtering techniques, I recently
reduced a 96Mb STL file of a skull to about 17Mb without loosing significant
detail.

The orientation of the prototype in your working envelope can influence the
amount of
support dramatically.
One of the major advantages of the SLS system is the type of support system,
check it
out.

Regards

--