RE: Low- fat stl to VRML conversion.

From: Bill Richards (billr@fieldingmfg.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 14:41:46 EEST

Paul,

form-Z can output that file into QuickTime very easily. QT movies I've made
of various models have averaged between 250k to 500k, depending on the size
of the window and the resolution. For Web use, I generally try to keep it on
the low side, and then add a hotlink so if someone wants a higher
resolution, they can download it.

Because a QT movie is simply a collected series of still images (just like
any other movie), the size and complexity of your part doesn't affect the
size of the movie. VRML, like STL, is a format that describes the facets
that make up the skin of the model. So the more complex and/or finely
detailed your model, the bigger the file.

It does take a while to render, though. Each frame is a rendered image, and
you may be generating upwards of 128+ frames to make a QuickTime movie. If
you keep the image small, that should reduce some of the time, as well as
the size issue.

Bill Richards, Rapid Prototyping Tech.
Fielding Manufacturing
780 Wellington Ave.