Re: Low- fat stl to VRML conversion.

From: C. Brock Rooney (brock@mich.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 21:14:34 EEST

At 08:47 PM 10/19/99 -0400, Paul J. Burr wrote
>Has any one tried this- convert an STL file to VRML and have it come out a
>reasonable size for use on a web site? I have no problem doing the
>conversion, but I don't know how to get the file size down to @500K.

Our new TRtoSTL program can output VRML (.wrl) and also reduce the number
of triangles in the STL file within a specified tolerance.
Our VRML file size is usually about 2/3 of the equivalent binary STL size.

For example, I took an 8MB stl file (160000 triangles) and reduced it to
17000 triangles, which produced a .wrl file of 560K. Time: < 1 min.
Doing the same to a 68 MB file (1.3M triangles to 17K triangles) took
from 8 to 40 min, depending on the machine.

Zipping the .wrl file reduces the size to about 1/3 of the original. Zipped,
the size was 212K for the .wrl, 415K for the equivalent .stl

TRtoSTL/TRtoWRL is part of the BR&A Iges to Stl package, and is also available
separately.

C. Brock Rooney, Pres., Brock Rooney & Associates Inc. (Brockware)
        915 Westwood Birmingham MIchigan 48009 USA
(248) 645-0236 fax/bbs (248) 645-9020 email brock@mich.com