Light year Software and SLA250

From: proform (proform@proform.ch)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 23:16:34 EEST

To who may have a clue:

we have recently received our Light year package. At a 1 day
introductory course in Darmstadt we were told that Light year will
produce slice files for the SLA250 that are identical to the previous
ones from Maestro 1.9.1. (For several, more practical reasons we merge
all our sli files on the SLA-250 machines (version 3.8.4)) and do not
use the build files (.r, .l, v., .prm) from Maestro). However when we
are trying to visualize the slice files from Light year with the old
3dview on the INDY there is just crap showing up. Contrary what we were
told by 3D the slice files from Light year do not seem to be identical
(ore at least compatible) with those from Maestro (or the old slice382
software). Consequently these slice files can no longer be merged on the
SLA-250 machines. Can anyone confirm this or is there a workaround ?
A general comment (without making a premature judgement): Having
followed (and used) the software development from 1988 on I am amazed
how deep some of the important parameters are now buried under graphical
user interfaces. The good old slice382 (which we still use in special
cases) stands out with its simplicity and clarity.

Thanks in advance for any response

Paul Bernhard