Very Curious announcement

From: Michael Rees (rees@michaelrees.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 10:26:11 EEST

Dear list,

who posted that announcement that Proctor and Gamble are donating over
40 patents to MSOE?

I find this very interesting and very puzzling. Now, granted I stick my
head in sculpture all day long so forgive me my innocence. Is this
announcement an indication that P&G sees this field as so unprofitable
that they're just going to give it away? Certainly if anyone has the
resources to develop this it would P&G. Making prototypes just doesn't
compete with Pringles eh? Or? Any speculations on why they did this? I
wonder how much the MSOE lawyers spent pouring over the patents for
infringements and the like. Does a gift like this make it difficult to
sue a school if they develop infringing processes? Sorry, it just
doesn't make any sense to me. Did they retain some important piece of
the puzzle.

Really, if anyone could explain this to me, I would be really
interested.

best,

--
michael rees  effective immediately