Re: PHAST- Who can tell me what that is?

From: Al A Hastbacka (AHASTBACKA@prodigy.net)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 19:49:53 EEST

It may look as if P&G is very philanthropic in donating their patents.
However, I have first hand knowledge that there is probably another angle to
this.

A company (e.g. P & G) that has a patent portfolio which does not match
their future needs can hire a consulting company (e.g. Arthur D. Little) to
assess what the technology is worth. By donating these patents to a
university, the company can use the assessed value of the patents to get a
tremendous tax break.

In the United States,this is similar in concept to giving your used car to
charity and taking the tax break allowed on charitable donations.

Regards,
Al Hastbacka