Re: On what RP vendors need to do...

From: Rolf Hubert (rolf@sanders-prototype.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 15:53:35 EEST

Recent advances in CAD/CAM software, declining computer prices, and the
development of high quality pattern making equipment have finally made
cost effective CAD/CAM solutions for the jewelry industry a reality.

Sanders Prototype has hundreds of RP machines in the jewelry
manufacturing industry worldwide. The systems are cost effective and
produce big profits for the jewelry industry whether they are large
manufacturers or mom and pop shops. CAD produces perfectly symetrical
models and the Sanders system produces wax patterns that have excellent
surface finish, a must for the jewelry industry.

The RP industry has been concentrating on fast concept models and
prototype tooling. Sanders has been concentrating on production models
and production tooling. The jewelry industry is more interested in
perfection rather than speed. Interestingly so is the tooling industry,
companies would rather produce a production tool in less than 2 weeks
than create a prototype tool in that time frame at the same cost. A
production tool that requires no EDM, no water lines, and no post
processing other than polish and is capable of producing a million shots
is where the emphasis should be. Being able to alter that tool by
drilling, welding, even edm makes for a powerful process.

RP or rapid prototyping is not what Sanders does in both the jewelry and
tooling markets. We are producing the pattern for investment casting
for both jewelry and tooling and also for sintering of powdered metals.

The CAD side for tooling already exists and CAD for the jewelers also
exists. Alias, PRO-E, SDRC, have been used by the jewelry industry for
several years. Other software like FormZ, Rhino, Trispectives, Vellum,
etc are now used in the jewelry industry. Jewelcad was designed
specifically for the jewelry industry and offers many advantages. The
biggest advantage is the short learning curve, great rendering and not
having to worry about trimming surfaces.

The jewelry industry has already embraced CAD/CAM and the market will
continue to grow.

Rolf Hubert
Product Manager
Sanders Prototype, Inc