RE: PHAST

From: todd cleverley (tcleverley@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 22:20:39 EEST

Howdy,
I recently saw the question about PHAST tooling on the board and it brought
back a few frustrating memories. As an end product I believe the materials
used would have been acceptable. However, I was one of the "fortunate" few
who worked on this process for Plynetics and it was'nt about the end product
but the process itself that caused many a sleepless night. We started with
an SLA master and made a silicone mold. Into this mold we cast a rigid
urethane which was then sent off to be further cast back and forth until a
matrix was infused with metal componds creating the tool. At the time I was
concerned with any defects occurring at any stage in the process multiplying
like rabbits. Guess what? The finished tool was returned as unacceptable due
to variations along all surfaces. Things were refined along the way, but
PHAST tooling seemed to be anything but fast. I was just glad it went
silently into the night. Please remember these are my own personal gripes
and everybody who worked on this process tried to the utmost of their
abilities to make it succeed.