RE: Cooling channels in direct AIM tools

From: Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 18:38:58 EET

Tine + Jan,

Hello there, hope you are both well.
I will just add to some other responses regarding the low thermal
conductivity of epoxy and its effects (or rather, lack of effects!) on
cooling. We performed FEA heat transfer work showing that cooling channels
needed to be REALLY close (around 1mm) to the tool surface to have any
effect with epoxy tools. Generally it is not worth using conformal cooling
channels in these tools.
All geometries are different but generally I would recommend increasing tool
life by early ejection and then cooling the tool with compressed air so that
it will resist injection pressures with the next shot. You may also wish to
open the tool and cool the part as it sits on the core before then applying
the ejector pins.

Hope this helps,
Neil