Re: (LONG) Re: On what the vendors MUST do!

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 00:07:32 EET

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 EdGrenda@aol.com wrote:
> I can't remember the artist's name, but he became quite famous in the '80's
> and I saw some additional pieces in Harvard's Fogg Museum and other places.

Yeah, I can't remember the name either, but I've seen the work, and it
was indeed scary stuff. I haven't come on any lately, though - it may
not have stood the test of time so well as it might.

> Returning to RP reality for a moment: Elaine once suggested that color be
> accomplished in a secondary process and I think she's right. While there is
> no doubt that true color RP would be the ultimate goal, it ain't gonna happen
> for a while for economic reasons. I'd suggest that combining an appropriate
> inkjet head with the RP technology developed by BPM (7? -axis robotic head)
> might offer an interesting interim solution that would stimulate the market
> for color. This solution would have the advantage of possibly being able to
> color any RP model from any process - and doing face painting, as well.

Won't fly for involuted interior spaces, though. Also, one of the
main reasons I want controllable color is for translucent/transparent
objects, and for that it's got to go all the way through.

> BG: Hey, with this technology you can bronze the whole baby.
>
> EG: I would add to your list, personalized skeets.

*snork* Good one.

> BG: Here's a question: is anything being done with glass? It seems as
> though if you can make a metal object it ought to be possible to make
> a glass object, and I could think of some very nice uses for that.
>
> EG: Glass isn't easy to get into a plastic state. Nothing I'm aware of in
> true RP, but there have been at least a couple of artists who've discovered
> plate glass LOM. A couple of pieces exhibited at the Boston MFA about 2
> years ago were pretty startling in their 3-dimensionality although they were
> made of limited paint strokes on a relatively small number of glass panes.

Yeah, but is it more difficult to plasticize than (say) stainless
steel, or titanium? Every kind of glass? I'm not sure I believe it.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Digital Sculpture http://www.bathsheba.com