Re: Color

From: Nkin@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 00:46:35 EET

Mark,

In a message dated 11/1/99 10:42:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, you write:

> An associate and I at the recent Telesculpture conference here
> (http://prism.asu.edu/prism/telesculpt/ ) were beginning to map out plans
> start a Kinko's like consumer-oriented 3D copy service to produce exactly
> what you say in your email. If I am thinking about it, then it must
already
> be in the works. Do you know anyone who has something in the works?

It certainly seems that the goal you describe is logical, valuable and
achievable enough so that there are likely to be a number of groups working
on it. High on the list should be the companies which are already thriving
on 2D digital printing. If such companies are working on it, you can be sure
that it is top secret. Based on the history of similar past developments,
however, it seems unlikely that a large established company will have the
foresight to bring such a revolutionary technology to market. I'm afraid we
may have to wait until a smaller group of visionaries is able to put together
the "critical mass" of technology, talent, and funding (as Haloid did in the
'50's development of the Xerox machine). Maybe this is the opportunity for
your group.

I know of several relatively modest efforts which are underway on different
aspects of the project. The one which seems to be the most advanced was
posted to the RPML a little while back, and I'll append after this note. It
seems to be a very logical elaboration on a basic layer-by-layer shape
manufacturing process.

By the way, in my 10/31 e-mail I neglected to mention one of the other groups
which might be in position to somehow help fund early development of digital
geographic physical modeling. If my otherwise reliable source is correct,
the CIA currently maintains an impressive set of terrain models of critical
areas of the globe. It would seem natural for such an important and well
funded agency to find some way to help facilitate the development of a
technology which could display current satellite data in precisely detailed
and colored physical models. Such terrain models would be "printed" in
accurately registered modules which could be updated whenever landscape and
structural changes warranted. Fixed data, such as numbered contour lines,
roads and power grids might be "printed" at 300 dpi. Information on mobile
factors (such as rocket launchers, etc.?) might be superimposed by some sort
of overhead (laser?) projection system. Models of various regions, at
various scales, could be produced when and where they are required, instead
of years in advance. [It seems unlikely there will soon be a more effective
way for a group of decision makers to study geographical and military issues
and develop strategic options together. You just can't put everyone in
goggles and achieve the same thing with virtual displays - and holography has
its own hurdles].

It's a little frustrating to consider how much 3D printing would aid in the
comprehension and communication of complex 3D information, how close the
technology is, and how little money its development seems to have attracted.
>From what I've heard, I would be quite surprised if the entire worldwide
investment exceeds one million dollars. In comparison, the first successful
Xerox machine cost about $20 million 1960 dollars to bring to market. What's
that in current dollars? maybe $200 million - - less than the cost of one
satellite or one airplane, or a miniscule percentage of the annual sales of
2D digital printers. [I suspect several groups such as yours could make some
serious progress with known technology and about $200 million?]

Norm Kinzie
781 444 6910

Subj: Announcing full color RP, low cost, high speed.
Date: 9/3/99 5:00:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: spitstec@wxs.nl (Aad van deer Geest)
Sender: owner-rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi
To: rp-ml@ltk.hut.fi

Noordwijk, The Netherlands

Dear list,

  A new rp-system will be on the market next year. The full colour 3d
printer is a small tabletop design that fits in every office environment.
The first model is able to make objects up to the size of 200 X 150 X 100
mm. The unit will weight around 15 kilo's and the size of the machine is
approximately 450 X 450 X 300 mm. The machine is faster than most other
rp-systems. Objects are made in layers of 0.2 mm. It can make objects in any
combination of colours. This system is especially suitable for
visualisation purposes.

The machine will cost around 8000 Euro.

At the end of this year the first units will be available for beta testing
in Belgium and the Netherlands.
For more information see the website http://home.wxs.nl/~spitstec/

Aad van der Geest
(VDG spitstechniek)