Re: Color

From: cwho (cwho@mountainmax.net)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 02:54:37 EET

SCat3D@aol.com 11/2/99 3:22 PM WROTE:

>Charles,
>Your system of using projectors to display colors on terrain models suggests
>a possible color RP system solution: A traditional photograph is a piece of
>paper treated with chemicals that when exposed and developed shows a color
>image. If an RP model were covered with the same or similar chemicals as a
>paper photograph, then exposed to the correct light, the part could then be
>placed in developer and would display a color coating(?)
>The necessary chemicals might be added to the RP material at the factory,
>say
>for example in white Thermojet wax, then light-exposed during the build
>process.
>
>-Steve

Steve,

We have done exactly this process in black and white and greyscale on
models up to 4' x 4'. We sub it out to a big photolab in Denver who
makes murals. I have no idea how they coat the milled model - we
provide them with the milled blank and a negative and reference points -
they coat it, expose it and develop it. We use this for alignment and
for an aid to painting, not for final detail although have seen one model
done with this process on top of airbrushed color. The problem is that
the image can only be in focus at one elevation on the model so if there
is substantial elevation change some of the image is out of focus. Now
we need adaptive optics!

<C>

     Laser Graphic Manufacturing - Precision Models
              for Architecture and Development
    800-448-8808 - cwho@vailmtn.net - 970 - 827 -5274