Direct AIM in Europe and USA

From: Lars Avellán (lars.avellan@ivf.se)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:55:32 EET

Dear list !

I am interested in the difference in opinions and results with direct AIM in Europe and USA. My prejudice is that direct AIM is both more common and more successful in USA. Is that right or wrong ? And if it is right, why ?

Please list, give me facts or opinions on the following questions. It could be convenient to relate the answers to vacuum casted PUR as a reference. Do not forget to tell me in which part of the world you are living:

Market share for direct AIM ?
Cost ?
Delivery time ?
Which thermoplastics could be used ?
Possibility to mould complicated shapes ?
Precision ?
No. of parts ?
Judgement from satisfied customer
Judgement from disappointed customer
Recommended service bureaus in Europe

One extra question about direct AIM: Are there any better backing materials than aluminium filled epoxy ?

The answer will be used in a Swedish national project with a computer program for easy choise of RP and RT processes.

Thanks !

Lars Avellán
IVF, The Swedish Institute of Production Engineering Research
Brinellvägen 68
SE100 44 Stockholm
Sweden
Mail: lars.avellan@ivf.se