Re: "Automatic" Reverse Engineering Software

From: Jason Dickman (jdickman@one.net)
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 05:55:13 EET

List,

We have also evaluated both Geomagic and Paraform. Both products are very
good
at "rapid-surfacing" as Bert put it, but there are some big differences
between the two.
Geomagic's approach (currently) is to automatically generate a patch layout
given the
polymesh and feature curves as input while Paraform allows the user to
control the topology
by manual constructing a curve/patch network. The automatic approach would
seem
to be quicker although it was my experience that shuffling patches seemed to
be more labor
intensive that laying them out up front. The other problem (again, my
experience) with Geomagic
is the amount and location of patches the software creates. Typical patch
counts can range from 100 to 1000
while the same polymesh can be surface (with the same resolution) in
Paraform using only 10 to 50 patches.
Both control C0 and C1 tangency which guarantees (if modeled properly) a
watertight surface model
when importing into CAD/CAM. Both have decent poly editing tools although
Geomagic has a very good
"smart" decimator and shelling function. The shelling function is nice, as
it allows for the creation of a wall
thickness in the polygonal model rather than in CAD. Both are comparable in
price at $15k per seat but add
the points-to-polys and decimator functionality in Geomagic and it will cost
extra.

For additional information about our comparisons please contact me directly.

Jason Dickman
Hasbro, Inc.
RP/RE Laboratory
Cincinnati, OH