RE: Surface finish - Comparisons and Importance

From: Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 14:54:54 EET

Jan, you got around 3 micron Ra from 5190 - Really? Sounds like the
proverbial baby's bottom!
We got more like 15 micron Ra from vertical parts on a 350 (I assume it was
SL5190).
We got more like 6 microns Ra from 5170 on a 250, similar to results by Phil
Reeves in his PhD at Nottingham. Phil's work was very much focussed on
surface roughness and his papers are probably some of the best sources of
info on this subject.

Neil