Sculptures & Zcorp Castings

From: steve upcraft (steve.upcraft@imcuk.org)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 16:02:49 EET

RP'ers,

In the last few weeks I've seen a number of postings to the list
discussing digital sculture RP applications as well as wanting
assistance with casting from Zcorp patterns. Regrettably I was unable
to contribute towards either subject due to client confidentiality,
however my teams involvement in a major UK project is now receiving wide
media cover here in the UK so I hope you find the following outline of
interest.

The Millennium Dome in London is nearing completion, immediately outside
the dome a sculpture park is being created. One of the sculptures
measures 95 feet heigh and actually stands in the River Thames, it is
constructed from 3500 square section steel tubes. Officially
called 'Quantum Cloud' it has become known as Millennium Man and is
Anthony Gormely's exploration of quantum mechanics, chaos theory and
the human form!

Whats all this got to do with RP & castings...
To join the steel tubes together many fabricated junctions were created
however 364 'special' joints were needed and every one was different!
To machine the joints would have extended the build deadline by at least
18 months and would have blown the budget for the project. Our Z402 had
only just been delivered so we had some concerns but the Zcorp waxed
patterns have proven to be absolutely ideal.

All 364 components were produced in 10 weeks and so far more than 200
have been cast in A4, to date 2 patterns have cracked the investment
shells - the foundary is delighted with a failure rate of <1%.

Our part of the project is now complete so the Z402 can be returned to
the role for which it was purchased; technology transfer & training in
RP techniques to small and medium sized businesses here in the UK.

As for Millennium Man, he's under construction right now and is on
schedule for completion by mid December. For more about him, and some
pic's visit www.lusas.com/gormley/index.html

If anyone wants any specific details regarding the components or the
casting process just drop me a line.

Regards.

Steve

Steve Upcraft
General Manager +44(0) 115 925 6142 phone
Innovative Manufacturing Centre +44(0) 115 926 6147 fax
5 William Lee Buildings
University Boulevard http://www.imcuk.org
Nottingham. UK
NG7 2RQ