Re: direct manufacturing or production

From: Nick Osborn (Nick@swiftech.co.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 18:36:24 EET

Elaine

In terms of precision waxes, we routinely use the Sanders system to make small numbers for direct casting, or as masters for our Precision Silicone Tooling (PST) process. As Tom Richards and others have mentioned previously, Sanders parts burn out fine and produce good metal castings.

Following on a recent topic, we have built full size busts of human heads in LOM, which were lacquered and left as the final "objet d'art" - see website for small pic. of unfinished version.

2 " high heads work well in Sanders for casting in solid bronze (the weight seems to impress lay-people as much as the technique, which is interesting...)

For moulded products we use Swiftool, so that the customer can choose the material, rather than being limited to the native RP material / structure (layered, microporous, etc.)

On sintered / infiltrated metal parts from DTM, Jim Williams from Paramount had some nice looking parts at the TCT show recently.

Regards

Nick

Nick Osborn
Managing Director
Swift Technologies Ltd.
140 - 144 Station Road, March,
Cambs. PE15 8NH, UK

"Real Parts Real Quick - Because Time Is Money"

Tel: +44 (0) 1354 650 789
Fax: +44 (0) 1354 650 799
www.swiftech.co.uk

>>> Elaine Hunt <ehunt@ces.clemson.edu> 05/11/99 15:05:25 >>>
        How many of you users have used a RP technology to produce a model that
was the final product? What was the product and how well did it perform?
Are any of you considering RP as a manufacturing process for any product
you make? Why not?

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/