What Factors?

From: Mark Deegan (mark_deegan@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 18:07:06 EET

Good Morning

I’m doing an investigation of the Rapid prototyping industry and I’m trying
to find out what real factors are taken into consideration when a company
decides to invest in RP. I hereby enclose a list of factors, which one may
consider.

Cost US$
Accuracy
Resolution
Speed
Ease of Post Process
Surface Finish
Ease of process (Technician cost)
Ease of pre-process
Heat Deflection
Glass transition
Hardness
Impact Strength
Elongation at break
Flexural Strength
Tensile Strength
Appearance (Clear etc..)
Cost of Consumables
Ease of machine Installation (i.e. office environment of special lab etc)
Resistance to Heat
Resistance to Humidity

If you could spare a few minutes I would greatly appreciate it if you could
perhaps re-arrange the list by placing the factor which you consider most
important at the top and then in descending order the one you consider least
important towards the bottom. I know every body will have different
requirements and that its difficult to gauge overall importance of any one
factor but if you could relate the list to the factors that you personally
consider most important/relevant I will be able do analyze them.

If its not much trouble could you also briefly describe what you do with RP
so that I can relate your list rearrangement to your applications.

I will post my result in total to all those who contribute. Also if anybody
wishes to add to the list of 20 factors that I have submitted please feel
freely to do so

Best Regards

Mark