New Media Sculpture Exhibition

From: Michael Rees (rees@michaelrees.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 08:28:28 EET

Hello List,

I would like to extend an invitation for you to join me at the opening
of my exhibition "Artifiicial Sculpture". The exhibition takes place on
November 19 from 6-8 pm at the Forum For Contemporary Art. The Forum is
located at 3540 Washington Avenue, St. Louis MO, 63103 tel
314.535.4660 (south east corner of Grand and Washington). If you are in
the St. Louis area, please come by. Documentation of the show will open
on the web sometime in December at www.michaelrees.com and
www.forumart.org.

This exhibit includes my recent efforts to equally create virtual and
corporeal sculptures. It plays on the term artificial intelligence.
Included in the exhibit are an installation of computer generated
sculptures made with rapid prototyping and soft tooling which are then
assembled manually, a Sculptural User Interface (computer program for
generating sculptures), and several
drawings.

The Sculptural User Interface is a computer program which generates
sculptures from user interaction and key board input. For example,
Programmer Chris Burnett and I created a set of global and local rules
so that when you type the sentence "This sculpture is cool" it will
generate a sculpture on screen. When you type "This sculpture is ugly"
it will generate a different sculpture. When you type a whole essay it
will also generate many sculptures based on the alphabets linked to a
library of sculptural parts. The program is in its early stages and is
quite primitive. There is also something charming about it. Future
iterations of the program will include the ability to generate STL files
for RP output.

The sculptures are a combination of rp objects that have been multiplied
by silicon tooling and placed logically within tree branch structures.
The original objects are a simple set of fingers, handles, legs and
connectors. The set is modular so that any part can be combined with any
other part enlarging and modifying the original tree branch structure. I
refer to this object set as a sculptural postional device. All of the
modular elements allow for 110 degrees of rotation. Once set in place,
the objects are finished over for a seemless look.

There will be a CD ROM catalogue produced to document the exhibition
which will be available after January 1, 2000. (Price to be announced).
The CD will include essays by Jay Murphy(art writer New York),
Christiane Paul(editor Intelligent Agent), and Mel Watkins (Curator at
the Forum For Contemporary Art). The Catalogue will include video
interviews with the people who worked on the show. There will also be a
video of the exhibition, a sample screen shot video of the Sculptural
User Interface, and some sketchbook animations.

CREDITS

Artificial Sculpture
Michael Rees

Executive producer and Art Director Michael Rees
Interface Design Michael Rees and Chris Burnett
Programmer Chris Burnett
Master Mold Technician and Rapid Prototyping Mark Schanze
Silicon Artist Wendy Laing
Studio Assistants: Juhl Wojahn and Brian Burnett
Special thanks go to:
The National Endowment for the Arts
IBM Corporation
Washington University St. Louis School of Art

If you're in the area, Come on Down!!

--
michael rees  effective immediately
suite Number 301  www.michaelrees.com