SLA and die-cast parts: a research project.

From: Sean M Gladieux (Gladieux_Sean_M@CAT.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 23:43:01 EET

As a graduate student in Manufacturing Engineering at Bradley University,
 Peoria, Illinois, I am looking for several companies that would like
 participate in my research. My topic of research concerns the use of
 stereolithography prototyping for die-casted metal parts. My thesis is
 targeted at discovering what the effect will be of using stereolithography
 prototyping on time to market and price per part for singular piece parts and
 what effect the use of SLA has on the design cycle for these types of parts.

Concerned issues include:
design cycle time with and without stereolithography
design changes and the impact on die manufacture: to include die life, cost of
 die manufacture, piece part price amortization
manufacturing cost with and without stereolithography
time to market
prototype parts from SLA model can be made numerous ways: investment cast,
 plaster cast, sand cast, etc.
others yet to be determined

I would like to know if there are any design/manufacture companies that have
 areas of expertise in die casting of singular metal parts as either a supplier
 of these parts or as an OEM. My research would require the ability to monitor
 the design cycle for several parts from creation to production to include,
 time and costs, problems encountered, errors, design changes, the works.

I plan on equalizing part geometry across different parts by using group
 technology and an average error per feature determination. I also plan on
 incorporating either an experimental or quasi-experimental design method for
 the project research. This is still being developed.

In the interim, until I fully develop the reseach requirements, I would
 gratefully accept any invitation from any company that may like to
 participate. Non-disclosure and confidentiality certificates are available, if
 needed, for all parts and intellectual property.

I will contact those that show an interest and explain more over the telephone.

Thanks in advance for those that are able to help.

Sean M. Gladieux
Bradley University
Peoria, IL 61629
309-675-1525