RE: STL Replacement

From: Justin Kidder (jrkst34+@pitt.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 23:13:05 EET

I totally agree, STL is becoming antiquated and does not carry the amount
and types of information that will be needed in RP/RM in the next 10 years,
but....

In order for this software to be truly useful, it will have to be able to
read NATIVE file formats from AutoCAD, Pro/E, I-DEAS, Unigraphics,
Solidworks, Form-Z, SolidEdge, CADDS, CadKey, CADRA, SolidDesigner,
etc...not to mention Alias, 3-D Studio, etc...(i.e. good luck)

If all these packages have to convert to IGES first to be read by a new
software package, you decrease the potential usefulness by an order of
magnitude. Why? Because most CAD vendors' IGES translators aren't 100%
reliable either! If you don't want to spend time fixing IGES models
(instead of fixing STL models), don't plan on translating to IGES first.
Plus, IGES doesn't even carry all the necessary info itself...

Ideally, all of these packages should be able to export some new replacement
format on their own (like they export STL now), which means that each vendor
should write it's own translator internally, which means that.....we're back
to the "bad STL" problem again.

I realize that this over-simplifies the problem somewhat, but you get the
point...I'm not saying it's impossible (far from it), but it's not as simple
as one might hope...

Any ideas?

Justin Kidder
Ph.D Student