Best benchtop CNC for the money

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 17:17:34 EET

here is the results from my study back in the spring... names removed.....

    The system that I am putting together now is going to be 8 workstations

on a NT LAN. 2 of the workstations will have MaxNC 10-2 mills. I am

using Rhino and DeskProto software.

You can find good information at this homepage. http://www.deskproto.com

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.

We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com

We have been using a benchtop CNC milling machine called BENCHMAN. It is

manufactured by Light Machines, of New Hampshire. It weighs about 600 lbs,

and is easy to use.

We are using it as a base for the CGI Benchtop Inspection System that we
introduced at NDES in Chicago a few weeks ago. (We are finally offering a
CGI system at under $100,000.) Give me a call if you have any questions
about the Benchman machine. Craig Crump, President, CGI (612) 937-2005

 We are running a Lite machine:Benchman 4000 w\ 10000 rpm

spindle. Its not the "desk" model, but it is about 500 lbs and fits on a

large desk. We run Master cam, Cadkey, Pro-E. We're very happy with the

machine and cut alot of synthetic wood: Ren.

We have a Light Machines 3-axis benchtop mill. It's stepper-based and

cuts plastics and aluminum if you're conservative. The mill is driven by

software from Light Machines. It [sadly] happens that to date, design is

done using 2-d autocad, and NC code is generated using SpectraCAM.

It works well for the simple parts often required to prototype a project,

but I'd look for servo-based mill and 3D CAD/CAM capability.

I hear some are working on a path from Pro/E to the mill via Pro/Manufacture,

but I'm not aware of the state of this work.

As far as return, I would say so far the Techno

but I've only had the other for 2 months. I paid around 23,000 for

the techno and I definitely made that back within 3 months for sure.

The only thing is that you cant run mine without intervention, but

with the VMC 5000 it has a tool changer on it enabling lights out

running. You can get the Techno with tool changer but I didn't.

I use a Tech-Isel desk top milling machine. I would not recommend it

due to really bad customer support. What ever you get, be sure you get

servo motors. Don't let anyone talk you into cheaper stepper motors,

they lose steps and goof up and stuff.

If / when I buy again, I would look at Light Machines Corp. in

Manchester, NH.

To get to your subject, we use 2 desktop machines and have had

great success with both.

1. Techno-Isel gantry- Large bed, great cost and you can get

educational pricing. I have summer Co-ops from our local college

use it all the time after about 4 hours of training.

http://www.techno-isel.com

2. Light Machines VMC 5000- great cost, Smaller bed more CNC

machine like. http://www.lightmachines.com

Why only desktop machines?

The used market is curently flooded with NC machining centers...mills & lathes

of all sizes that are selling for a few thousand dollars and up. The advantage

to buying one of these would be the size and power to cut more robust
materials

at higher speeds. Plus, the students exposure to real shop floor equipment
may

be very desirable on a resume... assuming that they ever graduate. You
might be

able to split the cost with the Engineering Department and even buy new with

lots of bells and whistles.

I don't use this system but I have seen them and they look good for a low cost

table with up to 8" of Z travel. The LCAM software seems a bit weak due to the

DOS interface but it comes with each system.  It has the usual
toolpath and

machine control features and It imports DXF and Gcode.

 "http://www.larkencnc.com/camtool.htm">http://www.larkencnc.com/camtool.htm

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/