More about Differing SL Resin Properties

From: Garcia Romero, Ana (AnGarcia@inasmet.es)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 12:57:44 EET

Dear all:

I am a user of RP models for metal casting and my knowledge in the
technical aspects of the RP models and Technologies is very
limited. I am very happy with this forum which really contributes to
clarify my mind and increase my knowledge. After reading your
comments on the string about the "Differing SL Resin Properties" I
have several questions and aspects to comment from the point of view
of a worried user:

I see that the same resin in different machines results in different
material performances (different green strength, different elongation
after cure, different impact resistance). I suppose that this is true
for any type of resin, and for any technology, not only for
stereolithography machines (for example different results for
products made in different machine models of DTM with the same raw
materials). Is that true?.

You mention that specially mechanical properties are affected. Which
other characteristics could be affected? Precision, surface finish,
tightness-porosity, curing time of the resins,....? Does anybody have
a comprehensive study about this subject (influence of machine
models in the characteristics of the products)?

Finally, if the machine model employed will affect the results, I am
worried about what kind of specifications should we ask to our
suppliers?

> From: "Deak, Steve" <sdeak@hasbro.com>
> To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi
> Subject: Differing SL Resin Properties
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:35:55 -0500

> Andy:
>
> The same SL resin in different machines will behave differently, even with
> the same build styles. The SLA3500, 5000 and 7000 have different Solid
> State lasers; same wavelength, but different pulse rates. This results in
> different properties for the same resin.
>
> So, the same resin in different machines results in different material
> performances. Different green strength, different elongation after cure,
> different impact resistance among others are the properties that will
> change.
>
> It's all a vast right wing conspiracy, or was that anther subject?
>
> Steve Deak e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
> Mgr-Rapid Prototyping voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
> Hasbro, Incorporated fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
> 615 Elsinore Place
> Cincinnati, OH 45202 USA "Our Business is Fun!"

Dr Ana Garc¡a Romero
INASMET (www.inasmet.es)
Camino de Portuetxe 12, San Sebasti n 20.009
Spain
Tel. 34-943-31 62 47/31 66 22
Fax. 34-943-21 75 60