RP handwriting on the wall (from your comments)

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 19:26:08 EET

Attitudes:
Beggers can't be choosers so tell him to make his own. This is probably good
enough for what he is wanting to do. It's a much better use of $$ than putting
an RP system in a high school since new concept modelers are too expensive to
make sense for a H.S. I'd be happier if they spent it on salaries for better
math teachers. If young people ought to be trained in real-world manufacturing
methods, RP in schools is a foot in that door since learning to visualize well
is an essential foundation for many different pursuits, however, most students
don't get started with it until late, if ever. I guess I am stereotyping here.
RP technology is a WOW value for the teacher, not really the best use of the
money. When it is tax dollars at stake, we need to get the most bang for the
buck - fundamental teaching for the broadest range of students not wow factor
for a few.... Teaching more basic technology like machining technology and
related physics and chemistry instead of working to generate some interest
within the school, which might lead to adding RP curriculum to their CAD
programs. Should we impose our own fascinations on others?

Requirements:
The RP equipment must be in house so high school students can use the machine
free of cost. We considered a service bureau arrangement but could never agree
on an acceptable per part price. People give old equipment to the schools
thinking that it's free and all they need to do is tinker with it - not run it
consistently. We find that newer machines like the Genesis and Actua are
relatively expensive. We need to be able to hook it to the lpt port on a
computer and run it just like a normal printer. The software has to be almost
fool proof and it not require a lot of computer resources to run.. We need to
provide a real life applications for about $10-15K total.

Questions:
Should we set up a clearing house setup similar to industry-college based
consortiums so that one type of RP technology helping keep another running?
Can we purchase old tradeins which could be worth more as tax deductible
donation or depend older obsolete systems where parts and support will be a
problem? Will students still want to use slow machine for applications as
vocational training and classroom presentation. How can we teach our students
unless we have programs like the BEST competition program, (Boosting
Engineering Science and Technology)?

Funny how we say things......and mean another.

Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/