TODAY: When the World Says, "No!"

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 14:35:33 EET

When Henry Ward Beecher was a young boy in school, he learned a lesson in
self confidence which he never forgot. He was called upon to recite in
front of the class. He had hardly begun when the teacher interrupted with
an emphatic, "No!" He started over and again the teacher thundered, "No!"
Humiliated, Henry sat down.
The next boy rose to recite and had just begun when the teacher shouted,
"No!" This student, however, kept on with the recitation until he completed
it. As he sat down, the teacher responded, "Very good!"
Henry was irritated. "I recited just as he did," he complained to the teacher.
But the instructor replied, "It is not enough to know your lesson, you must
be sure. When you allowed me to stop you, it meant that you were uncertain.
If all the world says, 'No!' it is your business to say, 'Yes!' and prove it."
The world says, "No!" in a thousand ways:
"No! You can't do that."
"No! You are wrong."
"No! You are too old."
"No! You are too young."
"No! You are too weak."
"No! It will never work."
"No! You don't have the education."
"No! You don't have the money."
"No! It can't be done."
And each "No!" you hear has the potential to erode your confidence bit by
bit until you quit altogether. Though the world says, "No!" to you today,
will you determine to say, "Yes!" and prove it?
--------

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://rafiki.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/