Re: Ideas for adaptive slicing

From: Irene Quinlan (ireneq@sanders-prototype.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 16:43:11 EET

Christian -

The ModelMaker machines from Sanders Prototype can (and do) build models
with multiple slice thicknesses. We have offered variable slicing in our
ModelWorks software for over a year. Users manually set which slice
thickness is to be used in different parts of the model. As a
side-effect, you can also use the same slice thickness but different
configurations (build parameters) in differents parts of a model, such
as on downward-facing surfaces and upward-facing surfaces.

Here are some very rough numbers. Most parts (50-75%) are built with
only 1 slice thickness. For example, jewelry parts tend to be have an
equal level of detail over the entire part. Of the remaining parts, most
of these have a clearly-defined "rough" section, such as a base, that is
built with a large slice thickness, and a detailed area where a thinner
slice thickness is used. Sometimes parts are divided into 3 or 4
sections, which alternate between 2 or 3 slice thicknesses. Using more
than 5 sections, and/or more than 3 different slice thicknesses is very
unusual.

Irene Quinlan
Principal Software Engineer
Sanders Prototype, Inc.