Re: Software Keys

From: Michael Rees (rees@michaelrees.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 11:14:28 EET

Steve,

microsoft has a different outlook

doesn't matter that they steal as long as they steal mine. They figure eventually
theives wi'll buy into the program. They're interested in a mind base based on
learning curve as much as a user base.

Personally, I don't like keys. There are some antipiracy software dingies that
require the registration of the host machine. Maybe they're more vulnerable, I
don't know, but with these, I don't have 1/2 dozen dongles hanging off the back.

best

Steven Pollack wrote:

> I recently started thinking about the (HASP?)software key that is required for
> use with FormZ. As I researched this technology on the web I started to
> wonder how come more software developers, including Microsoft, don't require
> these ingenius little anti-piracy devices.
>
> Are the software developers working on something else or do you think these
> will someday become part of the consumer software market? You always hear
> that entire countries, such as China, operate on pirated Microsoft software
> and that being a reason for their Y2K woes. You would think Microsoft would
> be very keen to capture the appropriate dollars for their product. Is this
> just a strategy of getting the world addicted to Microsoft software by
> allowing for free samples only to later protect the product with products such
> as these?
>
> Thanks for any insight you have into this.
>
> Steven Pollack
> http://www.xyzacademy.com

michael rees  effective immediately
suite Number 301  www.michaelrees.com