Re: Physics of spray metal tooling

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 23:03:34 EET

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Marshall Burns wrote:
> Does anyone here know the physics or the metallurgical theory behind
> spray metal tooling? I'm interested in understanding how a powder metal
> spray can be applied to a plastic surface and form a dense solid without
> melting or burning the plastic. Your insights will be appreciated.

I don't know myself, but I've asked a few people. The stock answer
seems to be "the droplets (splats) are so tiny that there is minimal
heat transfer" - in other words "magic". For more specifics, you
might try looking up Richard Knight of Drexel University; he's on the
web. He knows all about it and has been very helpful to me.

Even better, you could go to http://www.asm-intl.org/tss/list.htm ,
and get on the Thermal Spray Society mailing list, and ask the locals.
I know Dr. Knight posts there. It hasn't been very active lately,
they could use a question or two.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Digital Sculpture http://www.bathsheba.com