RE: Shrinkage in parts from DirectAIM

From: Russ Harris (rharris@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 15:39:49 EET

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your quick response.
Here at De Montfort we are utilising Direct AIM to produce very big parts
(one of the experimental parts that we have worked with is 160990 mm3)
where shrinkage is a great factor.
Being able to predict the shrinkage is of great importance to the parts we
make. An example of this is for an impeller (17661 mm3, for a motorcycle
engine) we have produced for flow analysis testing where accuracy is
critical.
The next part we will be making for functional testing is the top of an air
intake manifold, which is very large (285643 mm3).
I have already conducted some work which shows the post moulding shrinkage
to greatly differ between parts produced from stereolithography and
aluminium tooling.
Using Direct AIM allows us to produce plastic parts by their intended
production process and utilising the intended material, but without being
able to predict the shrinkage we cannot achieve the accuracy required.
Thanks again,
Regards Russ

Russ Harris
Research Fellow