Re: Texturing on RP model - FOOTWEAR applications?

From: Michael Rees (rees@michaelrees.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 17:35:23 EET

Dear list,

I wrote an article about this that was published in Prototyping Technology
INternational. I have succesfully transferred my palm print, about 25% smaller
than the original, to stereolith and SLS parts. I have also transferred textures
to z corp parts. These were scaled up from the original print. Everything in
this regard is really a matter of scale.

It works, admittedly, with some fussing.

Computing power yes. A simple model can end up with 1 million polygons,
depending upon the detail you wish to accomplish.

different companies call the technique by different names. Typically "shaped
displacment shading" or some such thing like that.

best

Erkut NEGIS wrote:

> Texturing on RP model?
> It would be very useful especially for the prototyping of footwear products.
> However I think that, currently, resolution of Autofab machines (including
> Sanders) is not enough to manufacture fine details like these.
> Besides that, a CAD software that has a real 3D texturing capability may
> need a very high computing power? (think how many polygons there must be?)
>
> BTW. Are there any one who use autofabrication technology for the RP&RT of
> footwear products?

> Erkut NEGIS
> erkut@innotek.com.tr
>
> INNOTEK,
> Innovative Technology & Products,
> Engineering & Int'l Trade Co. Ltd.
>
> Basaksehir B32/4 34670 ikitelli
> Istanbul TURKEY

> Phone: +90 (212) 485-4747
> Mobile: +90 (532) 220-7664
> Fax : +90 (212) 485-4748
>
> >Dear list,
>
> >Is there a method to include texturing on the surface of a RP model?
> >Thanks
>
> >M.F.Hashim
> >RP Engineer
> >email : fauzih@hotmail.com