Re: 'AAROFLEX' discussion

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 21:34:13 EET

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 bolson@molex.com wrote:
> I think that bringing this out in the open alerts everyone and does a great
> service to the RP community. Much like the child molester laws where they have
> to register with the city so people know to watch out for them. Does everyone
> have to find out for themselves who the reputable dealers are? I would be
> pretty upset with the RP-ML if my business was in need of a machine and everyone
> knew the machine or the company wasn't reputable and didn't say anything. Why
> shouldn't we talk to one another as good neighbors and let everyone know where
> there maybe a problem?

Great, good idea, now that purpose has been achieved. Anybody who
searches this list archive for information about Aaroflex will get an
eyeful.

> I think most of us would like to know how a business operates before we buy? If
> there's an honest answer, or a just answer for this fiasco I'd like to hear it.

Oh, come on. You can't seriously believe that the guy is going to
make any substantive statement about pending legal actions on a public
forum, can you? Surely asking him to do so serves no purpose but that
of venting.

I agree that Young's irrelevant holiday-related posts are irritating
and ill-suited to the list. If one feels that something must be done
about them, constructive approaches might include mail filters and
asking our venerable list admin about content-based moderation.

Meanwhile, can you guys please get back to inventing a 3-D printing
system for me, or starting a service bureau if you've already invented
one? Just a reminder, this is my list:

* material well suited to investment casting
* any supports must come off cleanly
* surface at least as good as a good sand cast
* little gross warpage: 1/8" in a 4" part might be acceptable, but no more
* part cost not above 150% of ZCorp's pricing

I.e. I'd happily pay more than I do to have no warping and good casts,
but I can't pay all that much more, and I don't need milspec precision
or shiny surfaces. Well, let me know if you make any progress.

Thanks,

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Digital Sculpture http://www.bathsheba.com