RE: Photoelastic properties?

From: Trevor, Simon (CMST, QMI) (s.trevor@qmi.asn.au)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 02:21:34 EET

I have some pics showing photoelastic fringe patterns of charpy impact
specimens loaded in tension. These can be found at
http://student.uq.edu.au/~s335159/thesis/ I took them for my undergraduate
engineering thesis project. There would be places on the web were you could
find more interesting pics - mine are a very simple and boring shape and
hence is not very interesting to look at.

The photoelastic fringe pattern does not show bands of stress line
concentrations as such. It is more like a contour map of stress - it is
possible to assign a stress to each band if you know material properties
etc.

Regards
Simon Trevor