Re: Low Cost CNC Program

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 12:03:20 EET

At 16:12 3-12-99 -0500, Vern Carter wrote:

Is anyone familiar with the CNC package called BOB-CADCAM. We are planning to purchase a 3 axis CNC Router and I was told that this would be a good buy. Supposedly, for $1000 the a package can do as much as a $4K and it is easy to learn and program.

Any info would be helpful.

Vern Carter

Dear Vern and list,

This depends on what you want to do with the package.
I have heard many positive comments on BOBCad: it
indeed offers much functionality at a low price. Do note that the
functionality in BOBCad is only 2D and 2.5 D. So it is great to
machine any geometry that can be defined using a top-view
technical drawing, where each line represents a 2D contour to
be machined on a certain Z-level. Using several Z-levels the result
is '2.5 D'. BOBCad typically will import a 2D drawing using DXF.

For real 3D applications like Rapid Prototyping of a product built
with freeform surfaces, BOBCad will not do. For this aim you need
a 3D CAM package, like the DeskProto software that we offer.
DeskProto will import a 3D geometry using STL, it does not
accept any 2D drawing information. Advantages are the same as
for BOBCad: lowcost and easy to use (try the free trial version).

As in DeskProto no functions are offered for 2D machining, many
customers use both a package like BOBCad and one like
DeskProto in combination.

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems,  The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.
mailto:info@spline.nl   ---   website: http://www.deskproto.com